The cable car is closed from 11.09.2017 – 20.09.2017 due to annual maintenance work

Welcome back 21.09.2017

About the Cable Car

The Tromsø Cable Car was built in 1961 by Brød­rene Jakob­sens Rederi, a local shipping company that was a major player in Arctic hunting/trapping, fishing and expeditions to the Arc­tic and Antarctic. The gondolas proudly convey this tradition by bearing the shipping company’s symbols: the polar bear and the seal. The Cable Car runs from Solliveien in Tromsdalen up to the mountain ledge Storsteinen. The lower station is located on Tromsø’s mainland, 50 m above sea level, while the upper station, Fjellstua, is situated at an altitude of 421 m above sea level. The trip up takes just four minutes.

The Cable Car is Tromsø’s most popular tourist destination. From the large outdoor terrace, you can enjoy the spectacular panoramic view of Tromsø and the virtually endless sight of islands, fjords, mountains and the open sea. If you look in the other direction, you will see the majestic mountain Tromsdalstinden, which towers 1,238 m above sea level. In summer, the panorama deck at the upper station provides excellent opportunities of seeing the Midnight Sun, while in winter it’s an ideal place for hunting the magical Northern Lights.

Welcome to the Tromsø Cable Car – proud supplier of views since 1961

Official opening in 1961
The Tromsø Cable Car was officially opened with full fanfare on a February day in 1961. In collaboration with the airline SAS, journalists and tourism officials were invited from within Norway and overseas. Local school children were given the day off to participate in the opening ceremony. They were transported up the maintain along with the members of the Troms­da­len School Band, which played beautiful tunes for the occasion. The waiting room was filled to the brim and several distinguished guests held speeches, including the Manager of Brød­rene Jakob­sens Rederi, Helge Jakob­sen; the Mayor of Troms­ø­y­sund, Kåre Han­sen, and Bank Manager Anton Jakob­sen, who officially opened the Cable Car.

The film from Filmavisen in 1961 shows the opening ceremony.

1958: The constructuion works starts

1958: The constructuion works starts

During the construction period, the materials and equipment were transported up the mountain using a construction lift south of the Cable Car. The construction workers needed to walk up and down on foot.

1961: Official opening

1961: Official opening

The Cable Car was officially opened on 22 February 1961, just a few months after the completion of the Tromsø Bridge. The restaurant was open in time for King Olav’s royal visit on 29 July of the same year.

1979: Fire

1979: Fire

The Cable Car suffered a major fire in the early hours of 10 June 1979. The restaurant building was totally destroyed and 13 years passed before a new restaurant was in place.

1992: Reopening

1992: Reopening

The new restaurant opened for business on 18 November 1992. The construction of the new restaurant, Fjellstua, took 20 months.

2015/2016: Modernisation

2015/2016: Modernisation

The Cable Car reopened in April 2016 after a major upgrade. The NOK 68 million investment included new gondolas and machinery, an expansion to the panorama terrace and a new wheel chair lift. Jan-Frode Janson from Sparebanken Nord-Norge performed the official opening, and Sadionor Teater put on a brief theatrical performance including reading the original opening speech from 1961.